Health and Social Care
Health and Social Care Curriculum for BTEC Level 3
Welcome to Health and Social Care
Health and Social Care BTEC Level 3 Diploma and Level 3 Extended Certificate
These courses provide you with the knowledge, skills and practical experience to pursue a career in the health and social care sector. It is also a good foundation for many degree courses with students going on to study subjects such as nursing, occupational therapy, youth and community work and applied social sciences.
The course helps develop study skills, self-confidence and communication skills through group work, role plays, presentations and work experience.
What will I study?
All Extended Certificate and Diploma students will study:
- Communication skills in Health and Social Care
- Equality and diversity in Health and Social Care
- Health, safety, and security in Health and Social Care
- Life stage development
- Promoting Health Education
- The use of complementary therapies in Health and Social Care
In addition, Diploma students will study:
- Anatomy and physiology in Health and Social Care
- Public Health
- Sociological and Psychological perspectives in Health and Social Care
- Personal and professional development in Health and Social Care
- Safeguarding and promoting independence
Work experience is a compulsory part of the course for Diploma students and takes place on two half days a week.
You will also be required to devote time outside of taught classes to produce coursework such as assignments, written reports and presentations to set deadlines.
Course enrichment includes a range of speakers, workshops and visits to support assignment work and career/higher education progression. You will also gain a First Aid Certificate and a Food Hygiene Certificate.
Where will it lead?
Health and social care is one of the largest industry sectors and offers a huge choice of careers, including:
- Occupational Therapy
- Care Workers
- First Line Managers
- Senior Management
- Community and Outreach Workers